Code of Conduct & Policies for CCPDX
CthulhuCon PDX Code of Conduct Attendees must respect common sense rules for public behavior, personal interaction, common courtesy, and respect for private property. Harassing or offensive behavior will not be tolerated. CthulhuCon PDX reserves the right to revoke, without refund, the membership and badge of any attendee not in compliance with this policy. Persons finding themselves in a situation where they feel their safety is at risk or who become aware of an attendee not in compliance with this policy should immediately locate a member of security, or a staff member, so that the matter can be handled in an expeditious manner.
Harassment Policy The following will be considered harassment: physical or verbal threats, unwelcome attention, stalking, pushing, shoving, or use of physical force, behavior that creates a disturbance or is dangerous, including lewd or generally offensive behavior or language, using sexually explicit or offensive language or conduct, excessive profanity, obscene gestures, use of racial, religious, sexual, gender, ability, or ethnic slurs. If a person tells you “no,” your business with them is done. If you continue to attempt to have contact with that person, you may be removed from the premises for the remainder of the event. Remember:
- “No” means no.
- “Stop” means stop.
- “Go away” means go away.
- Attire is not consent.
Reporting Harassment or Conduct Violations We have taken steps to make it easy to report instances of offensive and/or harassing behavior. It is very important that if you are being harassed or are in any way endangered, you report it immediately. We cannot address anything that we are not made aware of and we need whatever detail can be provided, such as names, badge numbers, or other descriptive information. If you experience or witness harassment or threatening behavior, please find the nearest CthulhuCon staff member, or come to the Registration Desk in the Foyer. As an attendee, if you witness harassment, threatening behavior, or other inappropriate conduct, we encourage you to speak up and say something. We want to come together as a community, look out for one another, and ensure everyone is treated with respect.
General Con Policies
- CthulhuCon PDX is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged property, or for injuries sustained during the course of the convention.
- You must wear your valid CthulhuCon PDX badge at all times to be admitted to the con or events during con weekend.
- We reserve the right to ask you to leave the convention or events if you are acting outside the code of conduct.
- Please keep in mind that CthulhuCon PDX is an all-ages event. We strive to maintain a friendly and welcoming atmosphere for children and adults.
- If you are taking photographs of attendees, please respect those that do not wish to be photographed or recorded by asking permission to take pictures and avoiding anyone with a “do not photograph” sticker. In the past, we have had some attendees who are sensitive to camera flash or strobe lights. Always ask.
- Have fun, be safe, and be respectful.
Consequences of Code of Conduct Violation CthulhuCon PDX reserves the right to revoke convention passes and attendance at events. If an individual is in violation of the Code of Conduct during an event, they may be barred from the event for an explicit amount of time or the duration of the event. If an individual breaks the law – city, state or federal – the authorities will be called.
Cosplay Policy We encourage you to dress up as your RPG character, Lovecraftian historical figure, favorite Mythos monster, or whatever else may strike your fancy. We also encourage you to keep it safe and avoid potential calamity.
- No real firearms. Period.
- With regards to swords/daggers/etc, if they’re sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure (even if they’re not made of metal), they will not be allowed.
- Any replica weapons must be clearly identifiable as fake from at least 10 feet away. If your fake rifle looks somewhat vaguely real, add an orange safety tip.
- Solid props such as staves which are weighty enough to bludgeon someone with a moderate force swing will not be allowed.
- Functional fake projectile weapons (think Nerf and Airsoft guns) must be disabled and unloaded.
- All weapons will be peace bonded either while you wait in the registration line or at the information booth. We will add a ziptie that identifies your weapon to staff and attendees as safe and approved.
- Aiming, brandishing, pointing, etc, any and all weapons at other attendees is not acceptable. You may mean it in fun, but your fun isn’t worth the alarm you will cause everyone else. In the case of minor issues, weapons will be held at the info booth until the end of the day. In the event of severe infractions, attendees may be asked to leave.
BADGES Badges Always wear your badge and hang onto it! You will need your badge to attend any CthulhuCon PDX function, including all daytime and nighttime panels and events, convention-sponsored parties, and browsing or shopping in the Vendor room, as well as some additional offsite events. Keep your badge visible so volunteers/security do not stop you. If you’re asked to show your badge, please do so. Your name and contact information are tied to your badge number. Badges are nontransferable. Please do not give your badge to a friend when you leave CthulhuCon PDX. Security may be spot-checking badges against Ids.
No Smoking in the Hotel No smoking is allowed at any CthulhuCon PDX event at any time and in any location. The Crowne Plaza is a non-smoking hotel. You are welcome to step outside to smoke in designated smoking areas only, but please be considerate of others when you do. Please comply with this policy; noncompliance may result in being ejected from the hotel.